Lions Club Members Are:
- People who decide to give something back to their community, who are dedicated to finding people in need, and meeting those needs in an efficient and caring way.
- Men and women who believe that by working together, they will accomplish far more for their community.
- People committed to solving worldwide health and social problems, providing disaster relief globally.
- Community members who cherish friendship and fellowship in more than 160 countries, and geographic areas worldwide.
- Patriotic, giving allegiance to their country and community while recognizing the need for all people to live in peace.
- Dedicated to maintaining the highest ethical and moral standards in their Club, and in their personal lives.
The Duncan Lions Club
The Duncan Lions Club is presently made up of 46 dedicated members. Our club started in the Cowichan Valley in 1958 and has been going strong ever since. We have raised thousands of dollars which we have returned to our community in many ways.
We also donate to Lions International to help fund projects internationally. We are grateful for the support of our community that donates so much to our Sassy Lion Store which in turn, raises the funds to do the many things our valley needs to be a better place. Please click here to see some of our local and international activities.
Lions Clubs – Ready to Help, Worldwide
Whenever a Lions club gets together, problems get smaller. And communities get better. That’s because we help where help is needed – in our own communities and around the world – with unmatched integrity and energy.
The World’s Largest Service Club Organization
Our 46,000 clubs and 1.35 million members make us the world’s largest service club organization. We’re also one of the most effective. Our members do whatever is needed to help their local communities. Everywhere we work, we make friends. With children who need eyeglasses, with seniors who don’t have enough to eat and with people we may never meet.
Lions Clubs International is the largest service organization in the world with 1.4 million members. Our motto is “We Serve,” we are Knights of the Blind, and raise funds for those less fortunate.
Duncan Lions was chartered in June 1958 to serve the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. Lion Gil was Charter President.
The Club is considered vibrant and industrious throughout District 19-I which encompasses Vancouver Island BC, and Olympic Peninsula, WA. Forty-six members strong, the Club meets twice a month between September and July, operates the Sassy Lion Thrift Store, and is involved in many community focussed activities including bursaries, donations to the needy, support for special needs members of our community, and other qualified individuals and groups
Enjoying yourself while serving is a key component of maintaining commitment. Lions have fun! Are you interested in learning more about why We Serve? See Membership.
We hold Dinner meetings which begin at 7pm with a 6:30pm social on the first and third Tuesdays of each month except July and August at:
Royal Canadian Legion
75 Kenneth Street
When you’re preparing to visit, please call our Secretary Lion Margaret Wall, a week in advance, at (250) 748-7754 and let us know if you will want be wanting a meal.
Executive meetings are held every second Tuesday of the month except July and August at the Chances Cowichan Board Room at 7 pm. Please call President Jim Harnden, in advance, at 250-746-1962 if you wish to attend.